TRAINING SUPERVISOR (22.5 hour per week)
Role purpose: Working within the Aims and Principles of the Citizens Advice service, to oversee the training and development of volunteers within Citizens Advice Epsom & Ewell, and to help maintain quality of advice by checking cases
Nature and scope of work:
- To ensure effective and relevant training is provided for all volunteers in Citizens Advice Epsom & Ewell
- To ensure that all volunteers reach and maintain the level of competence required for their role as specified by Citizens Advice.
- To case check the work of volunteer advisers and assessors, and to provide feedback where required
Reports To: the Advice Service Manager (ASM)
Training and development
- Induct new assessors and advisers into the ‘Certificate’ programme.
- Inform trainees and other staff of the activities, content and practical issues in the Citizens Advice ‘Certificate’ programme.
- Identify and meet individual training and development needs of new assessors and advisers.
- Select appropriate methods to meet identified training needs.
- Assist trainees through self-learning modules and review progress on a regular basis.
- In conjunction with the ASM, assess the competence of new assessors and advisers against Citizens Advice and LCA requirements.
- Research, design and deliver training programmes and sessions.
- Maintain individuals’ Learning and Assessment Records.
- Liaise with the Advice Service Manager and Advice Session Supervisors.
- Liaise with Citizens Advice training staff, moderators and tutors.
Planning and development
- In conjunction with the Senior Management Team, formulate the Citizens Advice Epsom & Ewell ‘s yearly training and development plan for new assessors and advisers, and also for all staff training needs.
- Identify own training and development needs.
Checking and supervision
- Monitor the case records / telephone calls of designated staff and volunteers to meet quality standards and service level agreements
- Ensure remedial and developmental issues are identified and acted on to develop individuals, improve the quality of advice, and ensure clients do not suffer detriment due to poor or inadequate advice
- Keep technical knowledge up to date and provide technical support to advisers and / or caseworkers
- Assist with supervision duties on occasion as required
- To deputise for the Advice Service Manager as required
- Create a positive working environment in which equality and diversity are well-managed, dignity at work is upheld and staff can do their best
- Participate in recruitment and selection activities as required.
- Book trainees on to training courses and other events
- Maintain and order Certificate Programme materials as necessary
- Attend appropriate internal and external meetings as agreed with the ASM
- Maintain relevant internal administration systems
- Provide statistical information on training and provide regular reports to the ASM and CEO
- Provide statistical information on case checking as required
Research and Campaigns
- Promote the importance of research and campaigns work
- Include a review for research and campaigns within case-checking
Other duties and responsibilities
- Uphold the aims and principles of the Citizens Advice service and its equal opportunities policies.
- Promote the work and use of the LCA
- The Training Supervisor will assist the CEO and ASM in the implementation of policies and procedures of Citizens Advice Epsom & Ewell
- Carry out any other tasks that may be within the scope of the post to ensure the effective provision of the advice service.
- Abide by health and safety guidelines and share responsibility for own safety and that of colleagues.
- Citizens Advice qualified and experienced across all advice areas essential.
- Ability to support volunteers and maintain motivation.
- Ability to deliver training modules, combined with understanding of adult learning techniques / theories.
- Ability to contribute to planning and implementation of training programmes.
- Demonstrable ability to monitor and maintain service delivery against agreed targets.
- Well-organised and able to prioritise own work and the work of others, meet deadlines and manage workload in a busy environment.
- Ability to use IT systems and packages, and electronic resources in the provision of advice and the preparation of reports and submissions.
- Commitment to and work within the aims, principles and policies of the Citizens Advice service.
- Strong understanding of equality and diversity and its application to the provision of advice, and the supervision and development of staff.
This job description and personal specification does not form part of any contract.
Download the Application Form