Citizens Advice Epsom & Ewell provides free, confidential, and impartial advice on issues affecting people’s day-to-day lives. We are a local charity supported by local volunteers who help local people in need.
We are looking for new trustees to join our Board. We welcome people of all ages, backgrounds and experience who are passionate about advice services and can bring innovative ideas, unique perspectives and good judgement.
Citizens Advice Epsom & Ewell recognises the positive value of diversity, promotes equality and challenges discrimination. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.
Our trustees are all volunteers, many of whom live in the local community, and all of whom use their skills, knowledge and experience to help guide and govern our service, shape strategy, and give direction to the organisation. This includes making sure that the charity is:
- Doing what it was set-up to do, such as offering high quality advice services to the local community.
- Complying with the law, including upkeep of premises, insurance, recruitment and equipment.
- Securing money to meet current and new demands, and ensuring that all funds are used responsibly.
- Recognised and valued by local organisations, funders and people, who are aware of the vital service Citizens Advice Epsom & Ewell provides locally.
Trustees are expected to attend quarterly meetings of the Board and to get involved in other ways such as supporting fundraising, developing strategy, overseeing the review of HR procedures, and working with staff and volunteers.
What are we looking for?
We’re particularly looking for people with experience of:
- The Housing Sector – applicants who may have worked for a local housing authority, a housing association or a charity, who can demonstrate experience of general needs, sheltered and supported housing, and who can help us to develop our advice support for local people at risk of eviction and homelessness; and/or
- Fundraising – applicants who can work with our new Publicity & Fundraising Manager in building new support networks and developing an income generation strategy which secures the financial future of the charity.
Strong candidates will have a skillset and experience in one or both of these areas and a background in or good understanding of the charity, private or public sectors, coupled with a range of general management skills.
We are looking for candidates who can:
- Commit themselves to the principles and policies of Citizens Advice Epsom & Ewell.
- Act in the best interests of the charity.
- Understand and accept their responsibilities and liabilities as trustees and employers.
- Communicate effectively and participate actively in discussion.
- Use their knowledge and experience to provide constructive challenge and generate new ideas and opportunities.
- Think creatively and strategically and exercise independent judgement.
- Work effectively as part of a team.
What difference will you make?
New people with different backgrounds and life experience will add more diversity to the Board. New skills and different perspectives will strengthen the Board and improve its support to the organisation.
As one of our trustees your contribution will help to ensure that the charity is run and governed effectively and that it’s well equipped to provide advice and information to our clients.
What’s in it for you ?
Working together, our trustees are responsible for guiding and governing the organisation, ensuring that it’s doing what it was set up to do, complying with the law and using funds responsibly. Being a trustee is an important role but you won’t be alone in carrying it out; you’ll join a friendly and professional team comprising a small number of paid staff and more than 60 volunteers who give up their time to help their local community. You will also feel that you are making a difference and helping to make our society a fairer, more equal place.
How to apply
If you are interested in volunteering for this role you can apply online. If you would like to chat about things before applying, you can express your interest and we will get back to you by phone or email. If you do apply, please would you also complete our diversity monitoring questionnaire.